10 Second Tidy

Friday, October 23, 2015

We are TV watchers. CALM DOWN MOM PATROL! Yes, I have it on as background noise, no I don't care what you think, and my children are fine. Anyways, we watch TV and because I went sans cable when I moved, we have been watching a lot of shows on Hulu and Netflix. (BTW I hate that Netflix doesn't run show after show like Hulu - anyone else with me? Is there a way to fix this?) One of the shows I discovered on Hulu is from my childhood when WE didn't have cable. So, a lot of my kid shows were on PBS and one of them was called The Big Comfy Couch. It starred Loonette the clown and her bff Molly - a doll.

Loonette slept (and did about 80% of her activities) on or around her couch - which was massive. She had a lot of adventures and they always had a theme to teach kids to be good people. One episode was when she was angry and she and Molly went on an adventure where they learned to not be so angry and take it out on other people. She has an aunt that travels all over the world, and a grandma that pretended to be a cat in one episode. Then there's Major Bedhead - he's the unicycle riding mailman. I'm excited that my kids like the show, because I get to relive it too. Harper loves the clock stretch and some of the songs. She shrieks and dances and tries to stretch every time, just like Loonette.

This is not the original Loonette - this is from their reboot years :)

My point in this post isn't exactly to relive kid shows from my past, although that'd be super fun. But in every episode of The Big Comfy Couch is the "10 Second Tidy". It comes at the end of the show after Loonette has had all of her fun and she looks around and sees a disheveled mess. She proclaims, "HEY! Whoooo made this big mess?" The camera zooms in on her face and she responds with an innocent, "Meeee?" The camera "nods" up and down. And then Loonette agrees she made the huge mess and it's only fair that she's the only that cleans it up. Then she launches into a super speedy "10 Second Tidy" where she picks everything up - mostly stuffing it into the seat of the couch. 

I've realized that I have my own "10 Second Tidy" and it mainly occurs when the girls are in bed. It's when I warp speed clean - pick up toys, Spot Shot any stains, throw a load of laundry in the washer, do a load of dishes, etc. And it happens quickly.  So quickly that I just realized the other day that it was a thing for me. That it was something that automatically happened once the girls were settled into bed, something that helped me unwind for mommy-time. The speedy cleaning gets my home back in shape and doesn't overwhelm me at the end of the day when I just want to relax on the couch with a glass of wine. I'm not stuck with a million chores to do because I bust butt and go into auto-clean for about 30 minutes each day. It's worth it. 

And isn't that funny about being a mom? The things we just do and we don't even realize we're doing them. I remember pre-kids how annoyed I'd be to have to take a dog out, or doing nothing because I didn't want to do anything. But now I do things to care for two little humans that need me and I don't even blink an eye. They scream, they cry, they unravel all of my toilet paper, but I love them. I want to do everything I can for them. I want to soothe their cries and curb their screams. And I'll collect my toilet paper from around the apartment, because in those minutes they are unraveling it all - their faces dance with the brightest smiles. They're the reason I have patience I never knew existed. They're the reason I've gained a new outlook on life. They're the reason that keeps me moving forward, even on days when I'd really rather not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! I would love to hear what you have to say! Leave me a comment!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS