What Rocks About Being a Single Mom

Thursday, October 15, 2015

I figured since there's a lot of negativity surrounding divorce and a marriage ending - and it's especially negative when kids are involved and their lives are split up, that I'd share some uplifting things about being a single mom. And yes, believe it or not, there are some upsides to it! (We gotta grab the positivity where we can!)

It Rocks to be a Single Mom Because ... 

  • You can do what YOU want to do: activities with the kids, dress them how you want, etc. You don't have to coordinate with anyone else. Your ex complains that baking with kids will make a mess? So what! You can bake your little heart out. Your ex hates large crowds and veto's the zoo? So what! Take the kids to the zoo! You dictate what activities your little family does!
  • Build your own traditions! One of the things I looked forward to most when thinking about our family's future was our family traditions. Incidentally, it was one of the things I was most sad about when I was asked for a divorce. But just because you're a single mom doesn't mean you can't make your own family traditions! It's an opportunity for you to make your own and I promise your kids will love any time spent with mom!
  • You rule your roost. That means you can use your money to buy what you want. You can decorate your home the way you want. No more questions on why a certain brand of diapers were purchased over another, no more questions around a purchase on iTunes, no more consulting with someone else when selecting a color scheme for your bedroom. I haven't had a "girly" room in my home for years so guess what? Both my room and the girls rooms are PINK! And I didn't have to ask anyone's permission :)
  • You're strong. You've likely gone through a great hardship and that can be your divorce, raising a kid (or kids) by yourself or a combination of the two. You are likely working to provide for your family, and some of you are making all decisions related to your children 100% by yourself. You're strong, woman! You've built a strength that not everyone gets to go through and you are doing it all on your own! 
  • You get to be a role model. Now, most parents are default their kids' role models already. But I find comfort in knowing that my daughters will see a strong mom and a hardworking woman that they can model after. I always want my girls to be able to look up to me - and this is my opportunity to show them that whatever crap life throws your way, you can bounce back and make it through!
So that's just a few inside tips on what makes being a single mom great (even when you don't feel great). We have to try to look at the positives, where we can because our kids need us ... and we can 100% still provide an awesome life for them and ourselves! 

Why do you think single moms rock? 

Successful mothers are not the ones that have never struggled. They are the ones that never give up, despite the struggles. - 10 Habits Of A Successful Mom:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! I would love to hear what you have to say! Leave me a comment!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS