Do It Yo'self: Gold Painted Wall Decor

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

I recently worked on a DIY project that I'm SUPER excited on how it turned out! I saw this $3 discounted mirror at Homegoods a month or so ago and snagged it up. The mirror had a huge crack down the middle, but I just knew that I could pop it out and re-do it altogether. Then when I scored a free "A" on a garage sale on Facebook over the summer - I realized what a perfect match the frame and the A would be for my adult bedroom! I think it gave the final touch to going from feeling like a college kid with no sheets on the bed for a month (don't judge) to now having my room 90% decorated and set up! It's such a simple project that you can do yourself!


The first thing I did was peel off the sale sticker and unscrew the backing from the frame with a Phillips screwdriver. 



Then I carefully separated the mirror from the frame. Since the mirror is cracked - just make sure you're extra careful to not drop any mirror pieces or cut yourself on the sharp edges! 



At first, I hoped the backing was salvageable, but after taking the frame a part I learned that the mirror was taped/glued to the backing. So that wasn't going to work. I decided to ditch it altogether and just stick to the frame.

I then used Rustoleum Universal Metallic Paint and Primer in One in Pure Gold. I gave the frame a few all-over light coats. Since there were some edges, I wanted to make sure it was all covered. I did the same thing with the letter "A" you see in the picture below. Then just allowed it all to dry, attached a picture frame hanger bracket to the back and voila! I'm so excited for how it turned out!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! I would love to hear what you have to say! Leave me a comment!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS