Single Mom Adventures: My First Solo Christmas

Wednesday, December 30, 2015


This year was my first Christmas single and as a single mom. I had to split my time for the holiday with their other mom, and spent Christmas Eve all alone, thinking about them. I finished some wrapping, and enjoyed a quiet night in. Then hit the hay early so that I could just get Christmas Day moving! I woke up to a quiet house; just me and my dog Ella. It was weird, not going to lie. And after whipping up a nice breakfast and watching some Good Morning America, I held my breath and clicked open Facebook and Instagram. All of the families I know were posting pictures of their kids feverishly opening gifts, in adorable Christmas pajamas, the magic of the holiday plastered across their faces. I feel like a part of me was living vicariously through other's celebrations that morning.

Christmas tree full of gifts!

I picked up the girls at noon to start our Christmas journey. I was so excited to see them and wish them a Merry Christmas and have them in my arms. We headed out to my dad's to see him, my grandma and my uncle. My dad had gifts all ready for the girls which is super impressive for my cash/gift card giving family!
Checking out the gifts with grandpa!
Then, we headed out to Indiana to visit with my mom's side of the family (yep, I'm a product of divorce too!). My aunt always has a great big gathering with people in and out all afternoon. We arrived just in time for Harper to chow down (the girl can eat!). Luckily, my sister was there and helped me wrangle the girls, plus they were loved on by lots of family members. It was nice to be around everyone and I wasn't as sad as I thought I'd be. Being around others definitely helped.

We like giving kisses to little cousins.
The girls lasted longer than I thought they would, which is awesome. I was worried it would be melt-down city around bedtime, but although we were a bit tired and started to stare off in the distance, there was lots to do and lots of people to play with so I think that helped. Plus, food.

My nephew, sister, myself and the girls!
The day after Christmas, all three of us were in total zombie mode. We relaxed all day, played with new toys and watched Frozen multiple times. It was nice to spend some time with them and have our own little moments together. Oh yeah, and then now climb up and down on my couch, so I'm high alert for falls, shoves, and food messes! FANTASTIC!


Being newly divorced brings a lot of crud into your life. Some people are relieved and ready to start fresh. They use that experience to fuel themselves forward. Some people act like being married never happened - they just simply move on. And then others still like a piece of their heart has been left behind as they're shoved forward by an unknown force. I'm in that latter part. I miss married life. I miss things when they were good and I'm devastated that our girls now have to split time between us for major holidays. I never wanted this life for them.

But, I also have a life to live, and my life is full of new experiences and adventures - many that I'll do by myself for the first time. I'm glad my first Christmas wasn't too bad. I know it won't always be like this and there are many, many rough times ahead - but thankful for what I have in this moment, at this time with my little family of 3!

How was your Christmas?

2 comments:

  1. My heart ached for you as I read this post. I am sorry you have to go through this with your little loves, but you are such a strong mama. You truly are. Thinking of you! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of the stuff we have to go through as single moms just propels us forward! I'm glad the first Christmas is over, though! Hope you and your boys had a wonderful holiday, as well! :)

      Delete

Hi there! I would love to hear what you have to say! Leave me a comment!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS