Single Mom Adventures: Solo at the Movie Theater

Friday, December 4, 2015


In this series, I plan to document "single mom" adventures that I tackle solo. Random things that you maybe would do as a couple, or even wouldn't do at all solo - but that I did anyways. The point is to still experience life, even though I'm single. To do things that I want to do and like to do - even when I have no one to do them with. To empower myself and not feel limited in the things in life I can accomplish because I'm single. Maybe it'll inspire you to get out there too!

Recently, I hit up the movie theater solo. I can't tell you the last time I saw a movie in theaters and really wanted to see the newest [and final] Hunger Games movie. I've been to the theater solo before - on really long work trips to California, when I needed something to do in the evenings, but this was different. This was my local movie theater, during the holiday season - when families and couples run rampant around me.

But I held my head up, bought one ticket with confidence and enjoyed the movie - it was sooooo good!!!  Afterwards, I felt proud of myself. I didn't feel like anyone stared at me and honestly when I bought one ticket, I thought the 16 year old ticket seller would smirk or balk at me - he didn't even flinch and handed over my single ticket. Why? Because I'm the one drumming up these connotations. No one else cares. I do have some basic tips, though - if you want to venture to a movie solo while going through a divorce... just a few things to keep in mind so you don't find yourself dreading your decision before the movie even starts.

1. Go to an early showing. Who goes to 7 pm movies? Couples. So save yourself some longing and heartbreak and go early to avoid the bulk of couples. You'll still intermingle with some families, especially if you are going to a family movie but I went to a 12 pm showing and saw a lot of groups of friends mixed in with couples and families.

2. Arrive about 5 minutes before show time. I found that sitting in that theater while all of the advertisements played and the lights were still on was kinda bummy. You don't have anyone to lightly chat with, and if you're like me you'll eat all of your popcorn before the opening credits even begin. Most movies have about 15 minutes of promos anyways - so arrive right before the movie starts, grab a small popcorn and take your seat just in time for the lights to dim and your movie to start.

3. Bring your own snacks. Save your single mom money and bring some snacks in your purse! Yep, I'm that person! But whatever when the ticket cost $12 for Imax!! I snagged some treats and a pop at a local retail store and then purchased a $6 small bag of popcorn at the theater. That compared to the $15 I could have dished out - no thanks!

4. Plan an after-the-movie activity. It can be something super small or just an every day activity like grocery shopping. But sometimes I find that after the movie can be kind of sad because you don't have anyone to talk to about what you just saw. I literally just stopped at a Homegoods afterwards to walk around and think about Christmas present ideas - aka window shopping. It was refreshing being around other people and an opportunity to take my mind off of leaving the theater solo. I wasn't on a movie-high after I left Homegoods, but rather scored an awesome $6 11X17 picture frame so was more on a bargain high that I couldn't wait to get home and hang that bad-boy up!

It can suck, I promise you that. But if you try to go into it with a positive attitude, you can have a really good time by yourself! The movie I saw was aweeeeeesome and even though I saw every other installment with my ex - it was nice to end it by myself ... ironic, right? And now I don't feel sad having to wait for it to come out on DVD.

Have you even seen a movie by yourself? If so - what kind of movies are your favorite to catch solo?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! I would love to hear what you have to say! Leave me a comment!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS