Single Mom Money: Working Woman

Monday, December 21, 2015


I work full-time in a corporate job. I've always worked full-time, and honestly I've always worked for my company (seriously, I celebrate 15 years in June). I know I don't have it in me to ever be a stay-at-home mom. There's a level of patience and creativity that is required that I just do not possess. Not that being a SAHM was ever an option, and clearly isn't an option now. I just know my limits. 

My job right now is steady. It provides a good income that allows me to live off of it (nicely) and provide for myself and my two children. But I've always been a ladder climber. I've always had my eyes on the prize and have wanted to accelerate my career. Always. When I first had the girls, that desire slowed down drastically. I was just trying to survive, and building a career was not even near the top of my listed priorities. However, over the past 6-7 months I've been thinking more and more about what I really want to do, what can bring in more income and re-ignite my passion in my livelihood.

I've interviewed for a few promotions (even making it to final stages of the interview process) and haven't snagged any. That's ok - because if they were truly right for me, they would have happened. I 150% believe in that. And after my most recent interviews that didn't turn into anything - I literally sat down and thought about it. Thought about the role, and what I want to do with my career. Thought about the work-life balance I have right now - the steadiness of my current job (I need an anchor in my life and my job is honestly that anchor) and I withdrew from consideration. I was told I was a top candidate for the job - and I withdrew. 

Crazy, right? 

It honestly just didn't feel like the right opportunity. Something in my gut told me that this wasn't the path I was supposed to be taking. And, if anything in the past 5 months has taught me - was that listening to my gut will reveal the truth. I trust my instincts. 

One of my goals for 2016 is to re-ignite my passion in my current job. To invest in myself and the things that make me happy. To have a grateful heart for what I've been given, and to be happy with what I have so that when the time is right - I can move on to bigger and better opportunities. There's been too much change in my life, and the time, right now, is definitely not right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! I would love to hear what you have to say! Leave me a comment!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS