Single Mom Adventures: C25K Week 1

Monday, March 7, 2016


I've previously mentioned that I've signed up for a 5K race with friends in the beginning of April. In an effort to not die while on that short 3 mile run, I've forced myself to get my butt into the gym and start exercising! It hasn't been the easiest but I finally [after a month and a half of exercise!] that I'm in a little groove. Once I built up my endurance a bit with walking on the treadmill and some classes offered at my gym, I decided it was time to start the Couch to 5K program - which if all goes well I'll be on week 5 but the time my race rolls around.

The first week is a 29 minute run/walk combo. There is a 5 minute warm-up walk and then intervals of 45 second jogs and 1 or 1.5 minute walks. Once you run through that combo about 9-10 times you then finish with a 5 minute cool-down walk. On my first day, I made it allll the way through the entire thing. I was SO proud of myself because I have started and stopped the "first day" of the C25K program so many times over the past few months and to finally be able to accomplish the first day felt GREAT! I worked up a good sweat, was not in any physical pain and felt ready to go for the next day!

Day 2 went pretty much the same, and I thought I'd be all adventurous and hit up kickboxing class afterwards. However, our instructor decided it was "leg day" in class and after about 15 minutes my legs started cramping up and I had to leave. Lesson learned. Do what you can but don't overdo it. I then took a rest day with hopes of doing PIYo at home and then hitting the work gym on Friday (for a work out not to run because my run was saved for Saturday). PiYo didn't happen. Neither did Friday gym-day. But I woke up early on Saturday, hit up my apartment complex gym and finished day 3 of the program (ie. finished the first week!!!!) and felt great! Then I had indoor volleyball on Sunday.



Overall, I'm pretty proud of myself for getting through the first day and also finishing the first week!! Yes, there were pitfalls during the week where I wished I had hit the gym on one of the days I had planned and rested instead but I'm okay because I was still able to finish day 3 of the running program without any issues.

Week 2 is next up and it is a 28 minute run. Jogs are bumped up to 1.5 minutes (EEEEEEK!!!) with 1.5-2 min walks. Stay tuned on how week 2 turns out!

7 comments:

  1. Great job! I have not personally done this one but I recommend it to people all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done this program and was actually pretty shocked at how quickly I adapted to it. The runs started to get easier quicker than I anticipated. Keep it up! The first few weeks were the hardest to stick to for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed! I about dropped out of C25K because my lungs were bursting the first day, lol. I learned I had to slow it down. Way down. Way, way down. Like arthritic snail pace. Then I managed to complete the program and a 5K. You seem more athletic than I am (not hard to be, ha ha!), so I'm sure you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was like this years ago and actually switched to the C210K program because the workouts are longer (BUT) the jogs are shorter for a longer period of time. I'm in week 2 of the program and am already up to 1 m and 30 s jobs - KILLER! thanks for visiting! *a

      Delete
  4. Good luck! I started where you are and now run half marathon's pretty regularly. You can do this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's amazing! I hoping to survive my 5K this April ;P Thanks for visiting! *a

      Delete

Hi there! I would love to hear what you have to say! Leave me a comment!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS