Sometimes Time Stands Still

Thursday, March 10, 2016

I was perusing LinkedIn the other day and came across a contact that I worked with, who I haven't seen in forever. I honestly couldn't tell you if she still worked for my company or not - it's been that long. But nonetheless, she came up as one of those "people you may know" and I clicked on her profile. What I learned kind of blew me away - time can some times stand still for us that are in the thick of our own lives.

The last time I interacted with this co-worker she was having relationship drama with another colleague. There was a bad fall-out and by then I was in the midst of planning my own wedding and kind of forgot about it all. After I got hitched, life went on and this co-worker and I barely interacted. Then I got pregnant and had the girls and then this summer unfolded. Before I knew it, 2+ years have lapsed.


I creeped on this co-worker's Facebook profile and saw that during that time SHE got married. She met her partner a few months after things had ended with our colleague and over the past 2+ years she was having her own love story and I was shocked to see she celebrated her two year wedding anniversary in August - just a month after I was [NOT] celebrating my own. It kind of punched me in the gut - because for some reason I thought her life stood still. Granted, I didn't think about her much but SO much has happened for her in the same amount of time that SO much has happened to me. It made a lightbulb go off.

Life can change in an instant. You never know when you do something or experience something and just like that, the course of your future has shifted. Did you ever think you'd be right where you were when you were a kid or in college? I know I didn't. But events led up to everything that is your life today. While time was standing still for me (and it really wasn't), life was moving right a long for her. And my how our two stories are so different across the same time period.

Just thought I'd share - for those of you stuck in something awful, or a non-ideal life situation ... to know that in an instant everything can change for you. You'll look back on this time in your life and vaguely remember the pain and the darkness. You'll wonder how you ever made it out of the murk. But you will have - and you'll be enjoying another part of your journey.

2 comments:

  1. As I read this I thought of the quote, "Comparison is the theif of joy." It's so true; we look at other people and where they are in their lives and can't help but compare to our own. I'm 33 and single and was ALWAYS the girl you had a boyfriend when I was younger when most friends didn't, and now those same girls are always married with kids. It's weird.

    But we all need to focus and worry about ourselves & our own happiness :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so true! And life can change in the blink of an eye. I learned that I need to be happy with my where it is and have faith that it will go where I need to be. While working towards where I'd want it to be. Thanks for visiting! *a

      Delete

Hi there! I would love to hear what you have to say! Leave me a comment!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS