Finding Your Life Raft

Thursday, July 13, 2017



This past week I was thinking about heartbreak and tragedy. Not my own personal stuff - but just overall hurt that human beings go through. It's like sinking in a large body of water - full of rough waves or rip tides tugging down on you trying to pull you in. As issues get deeper, or the pain gets more complicated, the water gets deeper. And it takes every single thing in yourself to stay afloat. I understand and I've been there.

The key to surviving this wave upon wave of heartache is to find your life raft. Is it a close friend you can confide in? Is it an Instagram account that's positivity brings your heart comfort? Is it a hobby that can get your mind off of things? Running or other exercise? But it's finding something positive that can add value to your life and also ease the ache in your heart. Finding your life raft will keep you afloat. It will help create a light in a dark, dark tunnel. And if you're a parent, like me, you'll need a life raft to keep yourself active and focused while around your kids.

There were times, when I was going through my divorce, where I'd sit under a hot shower until the water ran cold. I'd sob and sob and my mind would race with desperately trying to figure out how I could save things, where I went wrong. And on the days I had my daughters, and couldn't sit in the shower, I still craved it. The hot water healed my aching heart and provided comfort. But mommy couldn't sit in the shower for a bulk of time when the girls were with me and I had to figure out other ways to deal with my pain and grief, that still allowed me to be happy and positive and "moving" around my children.

You need to keep moving. Whatever is breaking your heart cannot break you. Find something you can cling to, that will help you ride out this wave. Hang on, feel the pain, take the ride, but allow yourself to be held up and eventually you'll wash ashore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! I would love to hear what you have to say! Leave me a comment!

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS